Best treatment for Osteoarthritis | Osteoarthritis treatment in Ayurveda
We at Sreeragam Ayurveda Health retreat provide the best treatment for Osteoarthritis, we have treated more than 120 chronic patients of Osteoarthritis in the past 7 years. We have seen 50-75% positive changes in the symptoms of almost 120 patients within 28-45 days of treatment. Osteoarthritis patients should follow medication and strict lifestyle even after going back from our Ayurveda center for 6-18 month depending on the severity of the case. Patients can expect 30-50% reduction in pain and swelling within 14-21 days of treatment, further relief from the symptoms can be observed as the immune system of the body stabilizes with the progress of the treatment further relief from the symptoms can be observed. It is very important for the body’s immune system to function optimally for an Osteoarthritis patient to recover, why?
Osteoarthritis also known as degenerative arthritis or degenerative joint disease in which the immune system of the body starts degenerating the joint leading to low-grade inflammation in the joints. This degeneration in the joints is caused by abnormal wear & tear of the cartilage that covers the joints acting as a cushion along with the decrease of synovial fluid that lubricates the joints. This overall degeneration increases the friction inside the joints leading to the development of osteophytes increasing the wear and tear of the cartilages.
Almost all of us will develop osteoarthritis in some of our joints as we get older (usually above 40 years of age), though we may not even be aware of it because of which, complete cure of OA is difficult, but effective management of the symptoms is possible.
Facts about OA
- Osteoarthritis most commonly affects the joints in the knees, spine, shoulder and hip joints.
- Osteoarthritis is primarily not an inflammatory condition but inflammation occurs gradually.
- In hip Osteoarthritis, pain is felt in the groin, inner thigh, buttock and even the knees.
- In spine Osteoarthritis, pain is felt in the neck and lower back.
Ayurveda believes that stress, irregular sleep pattern, cold storage food items etc. can be also one of the factors leading to Osteoarthritis.
Understanding Osteoarthritis (Ayurvedic view)
According to Ayurveda, there is dominance of vata dosha in Osteoarthritis and imbalance of vata starts locally in the joints (“sandhi” in Sanskrit ) which later manifests into a disease which is categorised under “sandhigatavata”.
Symptoms of Osteoarthritis
The symptoms of Osteoarthritis are:
- Pain, swelling and stiffness in the affected area
- Affected joints will feel tender on applying pressure
- Grating sensation with popping or crackling sounds from the joint
- Bone spurs which feel like hard lumps around the affected joint.
Above mentioned symptoms are described for sandhigatavata in ayurvedic book “Charaka Samhitha” as:
???? ??????? ????? ???????? ????? ? |
|???????? ??????????? ??? ??????? ????? |
??????? ?????????? ????????????? ?????? || (?. ??. 28/37)
Why do we hear the crackling and popping sound ?
Due to the wear and tear of the joints the air occupies the space as an air-filled bladder and when the structure of the joint is in motion we can hear the crackling and popping sounds.
Causes of Osteoarthritis
The cause of Osteoarthritis is not known exactly but there are a few factors that might increase the chances of developing Osteoarthritis in the body:
- Family history: There is evidence of autoimmune conditions running in families as a hereditary problem. Genes don't actually cause Osteoarthritis but they can make us more susceptible to infection with certain viruses and bacteria which can trigger the disease.
- Age: As the body ages, the bone density starts decreasing leading to an increased chance of wear and tear in the joints which sometimes can lead to Osteoarthritis.
- Obesity: Obesity itself can be a sign of malfunctioning metabolism hence increasing the chances of Osteoarthritis.
- Physical exercise: Lack of physical exercise leads to a slower metabolism and poor joint strength hence increasing the chances of Osteoarthritis
- Trauma: Trauma to a joint without proper rest and recovery can lead to more wear and tear increasing the chances of Osteoarthritis.
Ayurveda treatment for Osteoarthritis at Sreeragam Ayurveda Health retreat
Osteoarthritis treatment in Ayurveda aims to normalize the vata imbalance in the body by reducing the amount of vata lodged in the joints hence arresting the rate of degeneration immediately. At Sreeragam Ayurveda Health retreat we provide the best treatment for Osteoarthritis which can stop the dependency on medicine within 1 to 3 years helping the patient to go back to their normal life. Osteoarthritis treatment in Ayurveda requires the patient to make adjustments to their lifestyle while continuing the medicine on the basis of regular follow up.
Most Osteoarthritis patients visiting Ayurveda institution for the treatment of Osteoarthritis are in the later stage of their chronic condition which is why the duration of the Osteoarthritis
treatment in Ayurveda is generally time consuming. For osteoarthritis patients, education about the disease and the treatment is very important during our initial consultation, it will help the patients in understanding the impact of daily lifestyle on their condition hence reducing the duration of the treatment.
In-patient Osteoarthritis treatment regime
- Ayurvedic drugs and herbs: Rasnapanchakam kashayam, Rasnasaptakam kashayam, Guggulutiktakam kashayam, Tiktakam ghritham, Gandha tailam,Bala taila etc.
- External procedures: Choornakizhi, Njavarakizhi, Abhyanga, Snehapana, Swedana, Virechana, Vasti etc.
: Changing food habits, Sleeping pattern, exercise routine etc.
Post in-patien Osteoarthritis treatment regime
Oral medication along with lifestyle changes are suggested to the patients and they need to update the changes in their condition through consultation in every 15-30 days.
Overall timeline of Osteoarthritis treatment and expected results
- 7-12 days - Detoxification treatment would be given to improve the metabolism and restore the immune system by reducing the foreign toxic elements from the body.
- 7-14 days- Treatment will be administered locally to restore the damage of wear and tear present in the joint bones hence reducing the inflammation.
- 7-14 days- Restoring the lubrication in the joints by strengthen the membrane and stimulating the production of lubrication hence nourishing the joints to reduce the chances of recurrence through external therapies and ayurvedic medicines.
Hence making the timeline of the Osteoarthritis treatment to be around 21-35 days in general whereas any of the above timeline can be extended as per the requirement. Meditation is practiced on a daily basis to reduce mental stress and the depression patients might be facing due to the inability caused by the condition.
Osteoarthritis treatment in Ayurveda vs Modern medicine
In the modern system of medicine, the best treatment for includes administration of anti-inflammatory drugs, analgesics and NSAID’s followed by physiotherapy to increase the motion in the joints and provide structural stability. In many extreme cases some surgical procedures for realigning bones, joint replacements or cortisone (steroid based) injections are given in order to help patients have a better life even while dealing with Osteoarthritis.
By considering medicine like Anti-inflammatory drugs, Steroids, etc. as the best treatment for Osteoarthritis, we are suppressing the immune system of the body and reducing the changes of any regeneration possible. Now the affected joint will incur more wear and tear during its basic function while at the same time the suppressed immune system will cause problem in other parts/process of the body. Allowing continuous damage to the joint can lead to permanent damage in the joint and at the same time side effects of the drugs which in case of steroids is very high will also affect the body adversely.
Modern medicine provides good management plan for Osteoarthritis, controlling the symptoms to a certain extent. Modern medicine classifies osteoarthritis to be incurable hence does not provide the requires long term solution to the patient.
Ayurveda, on the other hand, can arrest the degeneration of the joints while correcting the metabolism parallelly, restoring the immune system back to its health state. The oils used internally or externally lubricate and nourishes the affected bones, joints, muscles etc. allowing the joint structure to replenish and rejuvenate. External therapies like massage and sudation increase the blood circulation while the detoxification therapies help the metabolism to correct itself hence providing a speedy recovery around the joint.
Osteoarthritis treatment in Ayurveda can provide fast relief and can show good results in a small amount of time contrary to the belief that Ayurveda is a time taking treatment. Osteoarthritis treatment in Ayurveda does not just reduce the symptoms, but actually cures the disease from the root helping to prevent the recurrence of Osteoarthritis.
Possibility of Osteoarthritis treatment in Ayurveda
- In early stages: Ayurveda treatment for Osteoarthritis can cure Osteoarthritis, allowing the patients to live a normal life
- In subsequent stages Ayurveda treatment for Osteoarthritis can:
- Help the patients to avoid surgical procedures providing a natural approach for the recovery and nourishment of the joints
- Help patient switch to natural medicine for a better management approach hence avoiding the side effects of taking modern medicine for longer duration of time
- Help avoid harmful steroid based medicine
- Help avoid recurrence of Osteoarthritis in the future
Frequently asked question regarding (FAQ)
What is the diet we can follow to reduce Osteoarthritis?
Patient of can try the following:
- Adequate rest
- Simple and easy exercises
- Weight reduction
- Light and seasonal diet
- Horse gram, ginger, garlic, onion, ladies’ finger, pumpkin, green gram, pomegranate, mango and grape etc.
What should Osteoarthritis patients avoid?
Patient of can avoid the following:
- Pungent or salty food
- Suppressing of natural urges
Barley, soft drinks, cold water, pickles, potato chips and white rice etc.